Davis, CA Divorce Lawyers
Divorce Solutions for California Families
If you are going through a divorce, you need a lawyer who will work closely with you to find a solution, not someone who will generate more animosity between you and your spouse.
At Kopper, Morgan & Dietrich, we have over 30 years of experience helping clients find legal solutions to their divorce matters.
We represent clients in Davis and Woodland and throughout Yolo, Sacramento, and Solano Counties in California. Contact us online or call 530-758-0757 to schedule your initial consultation.
Support Throughout the Divorce
Whether you are seeking a divorce, annulment or separation, our attorneys can help. We work directly with our clients to understand their goals and come up with a plan to acheive them within their budget. Rather than generating endless conflict, we seek workable and lasting solutions for your family.
Further, we recognize that each of our clients is unique and requires a plan tailored to their particular goals. We give clients the information they need to make informed choices about family law matters such as:
- Divorce Resolution: We encourage cooperative divorces and complete a large number of family law mediations. A mediated divorce is cheaper and generally results in less conflict. We also offer collaborative law services, where each party has a lawyer, but the parties agree not to go to court. In cases where the parties cannot resolve their disputes cooperatively, we provide aggressive divorce litigation services.
- Child Support: We make sure the California guidelines are applied properly and that all sources of income are properly factored into the child support calculations.
- Spousal Support: After a marriage is over, both spouses are entitled to the standard of living they enjoyed in the marriage. Courts have a great deal of discretion regarding the amount of money one spouse will pay the other, making alimony one of the most litigated issues. We assist clients in making informed choices about spousal support.
- Property Division: In most divorces, community property is divided as equally as possible. Sometimes it may make sense for a couple to own property together as an investment and sell it later. In some cases, neither spouse can immediately refinance the family home to buy out the other spouse. Both spouses may remain on the deed of the home for a period of time until the spouse who wants the house can refinance it. An experienced lawyer will craft creative solutions like this in the equitable division of property.
- Pension Issues: Pensions are often the most valuable asset of a marriage and must be handled very carefully. If you have a pension, it is crucial to work with an attorney to understand the value of the pension and make sure it is divided equally. Our office prepares Qualified Domestic Relations Orders (QDROs) to make certain that pension plans pay the non-owner spouse his or her fair share of the pension.
- Modifications of Child and Spousal Support: If there has been a reduction in your salary, you may be entitled to a reduced payment. However, there are other situations in which you may be obligated to make larger payments. With alimony, the passage of time or refusal of the other party to seek employment may be a reason for a modification.
- Enforcement of Support: We work with clients to help ensure property attachments and all other enforcement mechanisms are available in spousal and child support situations.
- Tax Aspects of Divorce: We help clients plan for the future with careful tax planning. Usually, each piece of property has certain tax implications, and we help clients divide their property to account for these tax implications.
Divorce mediation and collaborative law are often the least expensive and least contentious way for people to complete divorce. In such situations, we help both parties reach an agreement on disputed issues. Schedule your appointment by contacting us online or by calling 530-758-0757.
Kopper, Morgan & Dietrich represents clients in Davis and Woodland, California, and the surrounding cities, including Sacramento, Dixon, Winters, Vacaville, and West Sacramento, and in the following counties: Yolo County, Sacramento County, and Solano County.